From the Ranch

From the Ranch

Friday, December 11, 2015

What Is The Truth Out of the Desert?




CNN's version:  http://edition.cnn.com/2015/12/10/politics/bowe-bergdahl-jason-bourne-serial/index.html?sr=fbcnni121015bowe-bergdahl-jason-bourne-serial1115PMVODtopLink&linkId=1948748



You know I have worked with a lot of Soldiers, I am personally devoted to those who serve. I know they stand between us and the end of our nation everyday holding the line. My husband served 30 years, is a honor graduate of West Point and the Army War College, an Airborne Ranger, Jungle Survival School, whose branch is Infantry. He was awarded the Bronze Star in Afghanistan, and the Legion of Merit. My daughter served 8 years, two sons-in-law... my father, and my grand-father... I have worked with military families, and I love and respect all those who honorably serve, but as in all demographics, there are some who do not serve honorably. I believe that Bergdahl in his youth and immaturity served honorably. I believe after dedicating his life in the exuberance of youth to honorable service, he encountered leadership which was without honor, and out on the battlefield playing their own little movie games. The argument that later that day he was going back to a base where he could have reported his leadership may be true, but, as a Private First Class... no one would have taken any heed to his report. I guarantee you that... My husband once intervened to have a Soldier who had previously served under him, who found himself in a similar situation removed from Afghanistan, after the Soldier reported failed leadership and tried to get the leadership above that failure to act. Instead of action, he was threatened with sexual assault and fratricide, and transferred to the unit whose leadership he had made the report about. I could tell you a hundred such stories... and this man who reported this breech of honor was a Master Sergent. This young man never had any hope of any reports up the chain of command. I think if he had reported, he would not be alive today to stand trial for "his crimes." The United States Army is trying desperately to right its' ship... and as far as the General featured in this news piece... well, the Army has self examined and determined that upper leadership has been at the root of dishonorable acts in the United States Army in recent years. Look at all the generals who have recently been called to accountability. I think the Army should really very carefully evaluate the true state of affairs in Bergdahl's unit, and they have already admitted not all was as it should be... and fess up, then do the right thing. The United States Army recruited and signed up this young man, taught him the Seven Army Values, but emphasized "Loyalty" over honor... They still do.

No comments:

Post a Comment