From the Ranch

From the Ranch

Monday, April 6, 2015

Many Who Have Served Still Struggle With War

“A sad soul can kill quicker than a germ.”  John Steinbeck



UNDERSTAND
After the attack, I joined with the brave who heard the call,
To protect our country from an enemy determined to cause it to fall.
This duty my mind and heart could completely understand.

Then with my brothers and sisters, I went to a foreign soil.
Together we followed every order, and endured each mission, as on we toiled.
The need for this work I still understand.

I came home, and visions returned of things no man should ever hold in sight.
Always now I must be vigilant and watch for a means of flight.
These things were very difficult for me to understand.

Sometimes my mind begins to falter, and I feel cold fear rise.
I am now someone my family and friends do not recognize.
Of this I have no ability to understand.

Finally, in shame and despair, I went to my commander.
Grasping for words to make this man hear, I could only stammer.
I longed for him to understand.

The expression and tone of the words I received in return,
Have dealt wounds and pain that cause my very soul to burn.
All efforts failed to cause him to understand.

Since this confession, I know, though long I stood strong,
To my beloved band of brothers I will never again belong.
I have slowly and painfully come to understand.

Tonight in the solitude of this lonely room, I’ll make my last stand.
Summon courage and my life lay down, by my own hand.
For no longer do I have the desire to understand.

by Debra LeCompte 



When anyone, especially a Veteran, is suffering from depression it is a given that the person may very well not have the ability to help themselves. It may be up to us, those who love them, to be there, and know what to do.  Know the signs and symptoms of Post Traumatic Stress Syndrome.  It might save the life of someone you encounter.

No comments:

Post a Comment