From the Ranch

From the Ranch

Friday, January 30, 2015

The Question Keeps Nagging at Me...

So... that protective order was in a "rescinded state" at the time when the tazer incident occurred... So... why would any reasonable person... make that commander... after learning that the Soldier had approached his wife and a German neighbor with a tazer and billy club, (in Germany where the military is here by invitation,) why would that commander then refuse to reinstate another protective order...  For those that are unfamiliar with protective orders, a protective order requires that the individual who is determined as a threat maintain a certain distance from the person who feels threatened, and not contact the person who feels threatened by any means.

That sounds reasonable to me...  I hear, third party, that the rationale was words to the effect, "they are now getting a divorce, so there is no need for a protective order."  Two incidents happened to the person being protected for which no consideration has to my knowledge ever been given.  Of course no proof or evidence of who the perpetrator of these incidents was can be found, but on two occasions, the protected's car was disabled.  Once the fuel pump was manipulated, she has a statement from the mechanic who made the repairs that the fuel pump was deliberately manipulated, apparently to him, in order to disable her car.  I am not sure when that incident occurred, but after the tazing incident, the tires were slashed on her car.  One of her children had a medical emergency during one of those incidents.  Since her car was disabled, she had to run to her neighbors for transportation to the hospital.  With each violent and destructive event, the MPs and the German Police were called, as they should have been.

Now a protective order is in place again, because I have done everything I can think of to shake up the command which is involved. I really don't think that it would have happened had I not began writing generals.  I am old, and I resent having to write generals, I have better, more constructive things to do. Undertaking to write to generals is never in one's best interest, and without personal risk.  I have paid a price many times for doing so.  I have paid a price this time.  The DOD is in my estimation the most powerful organization on planet earth, and they crush people at will.  A new protective order seems to me to be a much more responsible command decision, but what would I know, I've never served.

Of course I am the grand-daughter of a WWI Veteran, who left this world long ago, when the mustard gas exposure on the battlefield in France finally claimed his life.  I remember being twelve years old and watching him struggle for air as he lay on the couch, and we waited for the ambulance.  My father was holding his hand, and praying for him, as he slipped into eternity.

I remember too when I was a child and my dad had a relapse from the hepatitis he developed while serving in the Philippines after contracting  malaria.  He was part of the occupation forces after WWII.  Once he woke to a Catholic priest administering last rights, and whispered, "I'm Baptist, and I'm not gone yet!"  There were times in my childhood when I would hide my eyes while sitting at the end of our sidewalk and tell myself, "when I uncover my eyes, Daddy will be coming down the street, coming home from drill."  For a few years of my childhood, my dad served in the Texas National Guard as well.  In my memory also is the pride I felt as my daughter graduated from NCO training, and the respect I hold for my two sons-in-law, who have served so honorably.  One son-in-law can no longer serve, he was wounded severely in Iraq in 2003.  Then there is the 30 years of service of my dear husband, who spent his last two years of service in Afghanistan and Iraq, plus an additional three and a half years serving in Iraq with the State Department after retiring from the military.  I could more easily than not let this all go... but you see I have one more personal interest here...  I have a beautiful, highly intelligent grand-daughter who is so full of honorable character, and she is a freshmen in high school.  She loves being in the JROTC unit she is in, and is looking toward West Point.  I know well what honor and responsibility requires of me.

I feel that when the honor of the organization where so many of my dearest loved ones have served with honor, and given so much, is tarnished by a few, I must act.  In whatever power I have, which isn't much, I must act.



No one consults you or me when leadership sends our loved ones, our sons and daughters into harm's way.  Those of my family who are left behind always do everything we can to support their service and the United States Military.  If I do not point out to leadership that they have the responsibility to lead well, with due diligence, honor, and devotion to sacred duty... who will...


My question is this: Is administrative discipline as clearly due to the command as I see it due, which failed to protect, and allowed an individual Soldier to repeatedly tarnish the reputation of all who honorably serve in Germany and the world over? 

No comments:

Post a Comment